Salt Scar Buoy
A model of the Salt Scar Buoy which in 1933 was presented to W Bro W. Scarfe during his year as W M by a Masonic friend. It is most probable that the lodge when founded was named after Salt Scar, a large undersea rock & one of 27.
A never replaced bell buoy marked the position of this Scar until a violent storm in 1893. Having found a large part of the bell belonging to the buoy a member of the Saltburn Sub Aqua club contacted us in order to view our model.
This led to interesting history divulged by their and our subsequent research. Dave Phillipson, a local author of fishing and seafaring books saw our buoy and he and the Sub Aqua people now believe the piece of the bell found belonged to the Salt Scar Bell Buoy.
Mr Phillipson kindly informed us of some history of this Buoy.
Between 17th and 21st November 1893 a violent, reaching hurricane force gale, blew from the NNE. This caused serious damage on and offshore including shipping. The Salt Scar Buoy with its compressed gas light broke from its moorings and was lost.
Among the shipping suffering was the schooner ‘Masonic’ which with her crew of seven was overwhelmed. The called-out Saltburn Lifeboat was unable to rescue the Masonic or her crew. The coincidences in this history might or might not be significant!
The Sub Aqua club intend presenting the relic of the bell found on the Salt Scar to the Redcar RNLI museum with as much history of it as possible.
The RNLI museum is worthy of a visit when in Redcar.